Monday, December 15, 2008

Blog 8: Commentary on Politico Goes Commando

I drove through a Ford parking lot last week and was surprised to find half the parking lot full of F150s. I drive a compact car, but had the gas prices not gone down, my bike (pink bedazzles and all) would have been drug out of the attic and become my main source of transportation. I would have only used my car for that quarterly trip to Wal-mart for kitty litter. The bulk bag is 18 cents cheaper per pound, but there is no way I could cycle that baby all the way home. It should be obvious that if I am willing to trade in my little car for my Hello Kitty bike no one in their right mind is purchasing trucks right now.
I agree with Politico Goes Commando that American Auto Makers are over producing unsatisfactory products. Politico’s blog is well written and to the point. I also agree that it’s a little too late for the companies to be looking into a smarter way to make cars. This isn’t a 7th grade Design Your Own Company Project where you can just file a request for more money because you screwed up. An intelligent businessman predicts future changes in preference or style and changes with the tide. I feel for the workers and the workers in other fields that will suffer subsequently, but isn’t there another way around this besides taking more money out of my pocket? Maybe the financial institutions gave every failed company who convinces Congress to squeeze more money out of the hardworking Americans to pay for their stupidity a bad name. But if I am going to pay for a “Wellness Retreat” it is going to be for the Father of four who just got laid off not the executives who make more in a month than my entire family of eight’s annual salaries combined.

No comments: